Sunday, December 17, 2006

back to school


This past weekend dear husband and I attended my ten year high school reunion. Walking into a room full of adults resembling their former selves was, to say the least, a real trip (one requiring a stiff drink). My graduating class was pretty small, only about 135 kids. The same kids I had grown up with since kindergarten in a cozy (read: nosy) Long Island community. (Note: table nine is a college ba'al teshuvah and attended public high school).

The evening mainly consisted of what I imagine speed-dating must be like: seven and a half minute micro-exchanges mainly focusing on careers, marriage and family (or future plans for the like). Pass the Dramamine.

There were some definite surprises. One former cheerleader revealed to me that she is marrying a rabbinic student (reform), and gushed for nearly 15 minutes about the pleasures of Shabbat observance in Israel. My best friend's fifth grade "ex-boyfriend" (does that count as baggage?) lost what must have been at least 125 lbs. since graduation (think Jared from Subway). And I'll admit it was slightly rewarding to find a particular high school crush now considerably heavier and balding. And wearing a horrible plaid sports coat to boot.

But all in all the truth is that most of the people who wouldn't give me the time of day in the cafeteria turned out to be quite lovely adults. The majority of my classmates grew into polite, (mostly) productive members of society. Many of them lawyers (why am I not surprised?).

However, my husband and I finally realized it was time to go when I found myself picking up a former friend off the bar floor.

But the highlight of my evening wasn't catching up on old school gossip. It wasn't even realizing that the cool kids aren't so cool after all (although rewarding nonetheless), or being told that I seem like I am "really happy in life." The best part of my night was leaving. Yep. Getting back into my boring family car and coming home to my two snoring children with my husband. Ah, home.

High school is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

8 comments:

mother in israel said...

I hated high school, mostly. Liked college pretty well and haven't quite gotten over having graduated. Oh well. Still couldn't bring myself to get a Ph.D.

Anonymous said...

I may skip my 20 year. Went to the ten and that was enough.

-Jack

table nine said...

AMII, high school was pretty bad for me too. I also had a great time in college. And no Ph.D. here either!

Jack, I hear ya. Not sure about my 20th but I guess I have some time...

Stacey said...

I so wanted to go to my 20 yr. It was recently -- Thanksgiving weekend and I now live in Texas. Ohio is just too far to travel when you are hosting Thanksgiving dinner. I had so much fun at my 10 yr. I loved seeing how awfully all of the people I couldn't stand had aged! LOL.

The shock of the 10-yr. was a boy who had a sex change and was now a woman. My class was large (700) and I didn't remember him (her) but as soon as I got home I looked her up in my yearbook. (And let me tell you....he looks much better as a she)!

Jack Steiner said...

The shock of the 10-yr. was a boy who had a sex change and was now a woman.

Some people will do anything to hide being from cleveland.

RaggedyMom said...

I found high school fun but also very academically challenging. Probably tougher than college and graduate school combined at some points.

Did you guys have a "most likely to . . . " thing in your yearbook? As in, most likely to become Orthodox and marry the tallest guy since Abe Lincoln?

Glad to hear you handled the event with grace!

table nine said...

Stacey, woah that's a pretty big surprise! Nothing quite so huge at mine. Too bad you didn't get to go to your 20th. Maybe the next one?

RM, was this your "alleged" original post? Your story sounds a little fishy. While my HS didn't have a most likely to marry the most absurdly tall frum guy I could find, I did win most likely to be accosted on Jewel. It was quite an honor!

Baleboosteh said...

I loved high school, it was great fun, but I wouldn't go to a reunion if they even had one (we are not so into school reunions in Australia) - I just don't see the point, I would probably spend the night wanting to go home!