Thursday, November 30, 2006

some things are better left unsold


I’ll admit it. I’m addicted to Craig’s List. Addicted. Staying up until 1:30am, promising to sign offline in just five more minutes addicted. Oh, granted I’ve never purchased anything there, and most likely I never will. So why do I sit up alone as dawn approaches, my darling husband snoring soundly on the couch next to me, with 2 children under 3 waking in just hours? Good question. Perhaps it’s a bit like a car accident – you just can’t help but look. Who knows.

What I do know is that most of the people who post on my virtual vice are two tacos short of a combination plate. People will sell just about anything on Craig’s List, short of their own children (although I once did see a nanny up for bid). While I can almost suspend my disbelief and go along with the majority of postings, there are a few that go beyond my realm of comprehension such as, but not limited to toddler potties, “gently used” nursing, er, paraphernalia, formula that expires in 4 days…The list goes on.

I’m sorry. Sell your children’s old toys, sell their outgrown clothes. Sell your unopened (and hopefully far from mealy worm-infested) cases of Enfamil and the 33 boxes of sidewalk chalk your daughter bought at her elementary school fundraiser (I couldn’t even make that up if I tried). But people, please, please, when it comes to items such as those listed, take a deep breath, and just THROW IT AWAY. Some things just aren’t meant to be shared.

Perhaps then I can, {yawn}, once again get a decent night’s sleep.

5 comments:

RaggedyMom said...

Craig's List can be kind of fun. I know people who've done well buying and/or selling on there. Back in the day, I was a major thrift store shopper. I guess Craig's List is kind of a virtual Salvation Army, minus the atmosphere.

Since most of the stuff you're finding is junk, why not post a spoof listing on there exhorting people to throw out their junk? Pretend you're Craig's Listing your trash can, and say something like "Here's a perfect (gently used) receptacle for all your trying-to-sell-crap-that-I-should-have-tossed-ages-ago needs."

Baleboosteh said...

Sounds a lot like ebay. And I loooove ebay! So much junk and so little time! lol!
I have spent many late nights searching ebay for a bargain even though I have to get up early the next morning.

:D

table nine said...

RM, great idea! I would consider it if not for my fear of actual Craig's List human interaction. The thought makes me shudder.

Balaboosteh, Ebay can be addicting too! Perhaps a bargain hunting support group is in order!

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Welcome to blogland. I used to be addicted to ebay haven't done Craig's list.

table nine said...

SWFM, thanks for the welcome. The truth is that Craig's List can be a useful thing - its kind of like ebay with a little more junk, and no shipping fees (there are different Craig's List sites for different major cities).